I recently had DS5 tested for LD because of his below average performance in school, mostly in reading and writing, with occasional math mixed in as well.
No LD found, and confirmed gifted (though not PG, so I apologize if I should not be posting here). He dislikes school (too much work per him), and most of our home learning before school focused on subject and desire-led learning and discussions.

I did not work aggressively with him learning to read before starting Kindergarten, as he was at daycare and I felt they were doing plenty (before I knew of the requirements for K).

When I work with him with new concepts, he picks up quickly but is resistant to practice what he is not strong in so fluency is low. Reading has improved dramatically, as well as writing. Math is good concept-wise, but he makes careless errors, leading to low test scores (school tests frequently even in K).

I keep hearing of gifted children reading at 2-3 years old, and I feel that since DS is gifted he should not be behind.

Is it possible this is just due to a late start in early reading skills, teaching methods at school (don't get me going on the reading techniques they teach!), maturity, or something else? Are my expectations too high because he is gifted and I just need to have patience for him to make the leap to independent reading and writing? I've recently focused more at home on a phonics-based instruction instead of the "look at the picture and guess the word from context clues" method. And he can do that, just haltingly. Math I'm not concerned about though he is making mistakes on tests. While working with him he gets answers correct but I just need to remind him to check his work. IMO, 5 is too young to worry about test scores if you understand what that concept is.

Anyone else with similar experiences? I'm even considering change in schooling d/t the worksheet drill method used at our PS. TIA!

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.