Originally Posted by polarbear
Overall, I'd say don't worry - nothing you've described sounds out of the ordinary for a gifted student (even for a PG student - some children read early, other children are busy observing or building or whatever and don't start reading until they're ready to).

What I do wonder about is what prompted the testing for possible LD - was it your decision based on what looked like underachievement in school, or did the school suggest testing? Is your ds generally happy or ok with school, or is he having meltdowns over school work? Has he said that schoolwork is hard?

The reason I ask those questions is - I have 2e kids with LDs. Nothing you've said *on it's own without other reasons for concern* really indicates anything is up - other than the possibility that you've landed in a school that is too all-about-achievement and test scores, which (jmo) isn't usually a good match for most early elementary students. However, if you've seen any other signs such as behavior issues, complaints of work being too difficult (when you'd expect it would be easy work based on your ds' ability), or if a teacher has expressed concerns, then I'd take another look at the test results. Teasing out LDs at this age is tough - most students aren't diagnosed until they are at least in 2nd-3rd grade, and with gifted children who can compensate well sometimes it's much later before anyone recognizes an LD.

polarbear

We tested for LD because for three report cards he consistently was not satisfactory. At first the teacher was saying things like he'll likely be on target for next report card, then we got comments that he *might* be caught up by the end of K, as well as possibly needing retention. Well, the minute I heard retention I went into find-a-reason-for-this mode. Some of her comments included he was not answering questions consistently (for math) or not being "confident" while reading. I personally have noticed lack of attention, and there is dyslexia in the family, so we got him tested. I felt he was bright, but why wasn't he doing well? And there was NO way I would consider retention without it, as I know a large majority of children retained are found to have LD in the future.

In general, DS tells me he hates school. Teacher has never seen any indication he feels this way, but that's what he tells me (I think because of all the work). He doesn't complain that it's hard, just I feel the quantity is high for him.

We are in a elem-middle-high school high achieving area. Where we live there are a few hotspots of great schools among poor scoring ones. I didn't realize how test happy they were until we moved in and started the school process. The local pre-K has children reading easy readers before they start Kindergarten. DS is expected to read a level D reader from the accelerated reader type books to pass K. From what I can see, most of these books are 70% sight words, 20% "guessing words" (like dinosaur was in a book today), and 10% phonics. And not "easy phonics". Cake was a word from the book today as well. There are lots of pictures and the children are encouraged to look at the pictures, the first letter, and try to guess the word, from my best understanding. However, I digress.

Behavior with him is ok, but he does get some warnings, some for talking, occ for goofing around in class. The person who tested is a PhD psychologist who supposedly specializes in gifted and school testing. Though we may consider the local university in the future.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.