My general response would to go with your gut feeling, because as your dd's parent, you have the best overall insight into the situation and your dd's needs. OTOH, I suspect that rather than this being a psych simply interested in your dd as a lab rat / test case for a research study, there may be more of a motivation on the part of the psych related to your dd's overall well-being, with a look toward her past struggles.

Originally Posted by moomin
We feel like DD's teacher has been phenomenally accommodating, and has handled DD brilliantly.

This one thing in your post also makes me wonder, just a bit, if it might not be worth a look - possibly not redoing all the testing, but another look at functional behavior - depending on what "phenomenally accommodating" means in real life. If it refers to differentiating academics and nothing more, then no, I wouldn't bother with a re-eval at this point in time. If it means the teacher is making accommodations for sensory, behavioral, or social challenges, then yes, I'd consider another look. While this year's teacher is phenomenal in her willingness to accommodate, next year's teacher might not be, and you might find yourself back in another situation requiring advocacy on your part - and the second-look data might be very useful both for advocating and for having an outside perspective on how well your dd is coping with school, and what accommodations she needs to be successful in school. I hope that doesn't sound harsh - it's definitely not meant to be! I think it's wonderful that she's doing well this year, and know that it's because you worked really hard to find her a good academic and classroom fit. I just wouldn't be overly quick to brush off the suggestion for a follow-up eval due to your dd's past experiences.

We have a possibly unjustified fear that sending a neuropsych in to interview her would be both an imposition, and a negative influence on her perception of DD's behavior.

Anyway, the neuropsych is very firm that we should go ahead with all of these evaluations. He's adamant that without them we're not getting an adequate picture of DD's abilities and challenges.

Have you talked to your ped or anyone local re whether or not they would have a gut feeling that this neuropsych might just be pushy in trying to bring in some more business/$ for himself? Or is he difficult to get into and well-respected? Those things would also weigh into my decision. FWIW, when our 2e ds had his neuropsych in 2nd grade, the neuropsych recommended we return for an update eval in 3 years. That time frame worked out well, because it meant we had a follow-up snapshot just before middle school, which helped with advocacy, and just prior to puberty, and we did see quite a few changes in ds' functioning as he went through puberty and matured developmentally.

The other thing I'd add - I wouldn't worry too much about having my kids go through additional testing, simply because our experience with neurospych testing has been that our kids thought it was fun and didn't mind spending the day with the neuropsych. If we asked them to sit an extra day of state testing... that's a different story! Not quite as much fun smile

So yes, I'd be skeptical, but also see some potential usefulness in it. And I would most likely be straightforward, if you don't have insurance coverage for this, and just say (if you are interested), "Yes, we'd really like to do a follow-up now (including whichever testing you feel is relevant) but unfortunately we don't have the funds at this point in time."

Best wishes,

polarbear