@binip: my son went to an immersion school for a while. The school was reasonably open-minded about acceleration and offered him a grade skip after 2nd grade. Starting in first grade, they let him do some advanced stuff, as well. But by grade 2, he was getting pretty bored in school. The new language keeps the boredom at bay for a while, but it doesn't last forever (a couple of years or so in his case).

My questions for you are:

1. What's the gifted program like in your district? Is it a pullout for a few hours a week, or a completely different program that the kids attend all day, every day? Do the kids move through material more quickly? Could they, say, finish two years of math class in one? You said the program is "out of this world," but that doesn't really tell us much.

2. Why do you want to leave the first school? If staying is a possibility, how open is the school to acceleration?

3. Can you get the test scores sooner? It seems reasonable to ask about them as a way of making an informed decision. If they say "NO," my advice would be to just accept the offer at the immersion school and then pull out of it a week later if you want to. If the school system gave her the IQ test and is also making it impossible for you to make an informed choice, it seems to me that you don't really have an obligation to play by the rules. Especially if it's only a few days. Trust me, a few kids will pull out of that immersion program over the summer when a parental unit gets a new job 200 miles away or when Cool Private School X suddenly has an opening. It happens all the time.

Last edited by Val; 03/12/14 02:53 PM.