My son saw an audiologist to check his hearing due to a speech delay. They do a thorough hearing exam. Several years later, someone suggested that she thought he had APD. I talked with his audiologist, who put me in touch with the APD team at a large, reputable children's hospital. The team consisted of an audiologist and an SLP. They told me that there was really no point in checking earlier than 7 because the auditory system is still developing and because the evaluation couldn't be done well. They also said that there was no real therapy anyway, just accommodations, so we could try appropriate accommodations to see if they helped regardless but didn't need to worry about an early start on therapy.

I know there are therapeutic programs out there. The specific team I spoke with did not recommend them. My son did not go on to have any problems and we never looked into any of those programs in more detail, so I can't give any advice. However, that is what we were told when we looked into it. I was reluctant to post on this thread because I have so little knowledge of these issues, but wanted comment that an audiologist and SLP are often both involved (from my small experience).