Originally Posted by 22B
Originally Posted by moomin
Anyway, on the whole she's doing pretty well in kindergarten. Far better than we expected. Any problems that she's having would be precisely the same on a monolingual campus. I generally see the immersion as a total win. I can't imagine why one wouldn't try such a program with a HG+ kid... but I'd expect the experience to be essentially identical to a conventional program... just in a second language.

It's very easy to "imagine why one wouldn't try such a program with a HG+ kid". If they aren't particularly strong in languages, then it just strews obstacles in their path.

An important trait of giftedness is that the child is especially good at a certain thing. PG/HG kids have high rate of knowledge acquisition - so they can handle immersion programs easily. But, placing a HG/PG kid in an immersion program does not make sense all the time.
Which is why I too would not call immersion programs a total win - how does a STEM oriented PG/HG kid get acceleration when these subjects get taught at the "normal rates/level" in another language? What is the value addition of an immersion program for an accelerated History buff or a Computer Programmer? And what do the immersion students do for enrichment in their areas of strength which are non-language related? (I am thinking about enrichment clubs, contests - Destination Imagination type of contests, online programs, afterschool classes etc in math, science etc) And when do they transition to "mainstream" schools - after 5th or 8th grades? What is the transition plan, if there is one at all?

I think that if the gifted child is not strong in languages, then an immersion program introduces "busy-ness" into their school work rather than teaching them what they need at a higher level. This could make some parents happy because it might challenge their gifted kid to a certain extent and that is a lot better than no challenge at all. That is not a compelling enough reason.
But, if the family has ties or business interests in regions from which the immersion language comes from, then immersion programs are a good fit even if the gifted child is strong in non-language areas.