So, I didn't have time to update last night but as it turns out all was fine. Teacher emailed me back right away (after I sent my above letter saying perhaps we should re-schedule) apologizing for alarming me and telling me that this really is just standard practice for twice-exceptional kiddos. They have the gifted educators there there and his regular and special-ed. So I ended up going and it was for the most part fine.

I do have another questions for y'all. The 'big issue' that everyone did want to talk about was keeping DS's "attention." They said he isn't staying focused on his work and it isn't affecting his grades because he's so bright but eventually it will affect his grades they think. They wanted to know if I had any strategies for them to help keep DS engaged and free from distraction. This is a newer issue for me... Up until now it has always been executive-funtioning and multistep directions complaints. Last year I was told (and also obserevd) that once DS got on task he stayed on task - it was just that he would screw up the directions (if there were more than one step) or that he had hard time letting the last thing he was doing go to move on, etc. Now the new issue is DS is actually having an issue staying on task once he starts.

SO, my question to you is what is done in the classroom for ADD/ADHD other than meds? What are the strategies/accomodations? I am assuming that some people at least hold off on medicated their kids for various reasons even if they have an ADHD dx so what stratagies do they use to help keep a kid on task/focused without meds?

(Btw, we had a small discussion of the role "boredom" may be playing in all of this and the GT teacher kind of annoyed me b/c she made a snide remark that "DS knows if he says he's bored everyone will jump." GRrrr....)

Last edited by Irena; 11/25/13 10:01 AM.