I recently had DS14 tested by an OT using Beery VMI. He received the following scores: Fine Motor skills 6%(low); Visual Perception 42%(average); and Visual-Motor Integration 7%(low).

The OT said that if DS14 had to write by hand he would be disadvantaged and she recommended access to a laptop for all work and using photos and voice memos instead of copying from the board by hand. However, she didn't mention dysgraphia.

I'm not sure if these scores are indicative of dysgraphia, or if they are just fine motor skill deficits. During his first year at school, DS14 had great difficulty learning to write and he became demoralised and depressed, but he is confident these days.

From what I can tell, most of the (relatively) low scores DS14 gained for PRI and PSI have visual or visual-motor components, which might account for why his results dipped in these areas. But I don't know whether the statistically significant difference between VCI and PSI would constitute a learning difficulty. When I asked the Ed Psych who administered his WISC-IV, she said no, because a LD would affect him more generally, as dysgraphia does his brother. Yet, now he is at high school, DS14 is exhibiting more of his brother's characteristics (problems with memory, instructions, organization, accuracy, etc.).

The OT did mention the possibility of sensory processing dysfunction, but she only tested his handwriting on this occasion. Perhaps SPD could be the reason for DS14's fine motor skill problems.

I guess I am rephrasing my earlier question about how one draws a distinction between processing issues and learning difficulties.

I've yet to investigate visual processing issues.

It would be great if someone could lessen my confusion!