I am glad to read that Dude is feeling positive. I haven't heard anything positive from anyone in a long, long time. The "good" teachers I have encountered are older and more experienced. Most importantly trained before this NCLB nonsense. Younger teachers only know the current system where they check off boxes and teach to the test. Our gifted or 2e kids are basically ALL outside those boxes so they are just simply unprepared to meet their needs. Even when needs are very apparent their hands are tied. I have a lot of teacher friends and I think they are universally frustrated. As are most parents I know. Well the informed ones who are actually involved in their kids' lives and educations anyway.

Right now our district is spending a small fortune to get DD's needs met in an out of district placement but they still can't get their heads out of the "formula" approach to education and get the heck out of the way.

Bottom line is I cannot imagine DD ever stepping foot in a public school again. If we can get her needs remediated sufficiently we will definitely be looking for a nice progressive private with a "meet the kids where they are" approach. I think the "better" school districts may be more responsive to individual needs but it doesn't mean their hands aren't tied. I really wonder if the one-size-fits-all approach works for anyone. By the end of last year most of DD's friends were coming home from school crying, or crying themselves to sleep at night or even in one case on home bound tutoring because of anxiety. Really second grade should not be that way. It really, truly shouldn't.