Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Why the focus on "scoring well" which is precisely what those test prep booklets are targeted toward? Have you examined one of those lately? They are NOT about "mastering the challenge" by a long shot. No. They are about "how to game this particular system" in order to look better than you really are.
Some test preparation books have titles (for example, "PWN the SAT") suggesting that the SAT is an adversary they will show you how defeat with the right tactics. We have not used such books. The book I used with my then-8-year-old was "Math Study Guide for the SAT, ACT and SAT Subject Tests". As the title suggests, it reviewed the math covered on those tests, not test-taking tactics. For my eldest son, the SAT Math problem has been "solved" -- he should get a very good score now and in 11th grade without further direct preparation. He wants to take the SAT again this year for the challenge, so the question is how to improve on the other two sections. He is working through a series of vocabulary books by Shostak. For grammar I may get a book "The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar" by Meltzer, which has been well-reviewed on Amazon. For a competitive kid, test preparation can spur learning.