I noticed you are in PA. IQ testing would be helpful because it can help you get a GIEP for your son. However, the school is required to do an assessment for giftedness, including an IQ test, if you request it. After I requested it for my twins, they did an assessment, and once they passed that, they scheduled an IQ test with the school psychologist.

PA public schools are required by law to offer an IEP to gifted students in any grade to address their needs. You have to put the request to have your child assessed for the gifted program in writing, and then they have a certain number of days to respond. If you request in writing that your child be assessed, they have to do it. And whether or not they have a gifted program in place for that grade, they have to offer services and develop a GIEP if your child qualifies.

Read this:
http://www.psea.org/uploadedFiles/P...lets/Booklets_Summaries/ParentsGuide.pdf

and this http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/022/chapter16/s16.21.html

We decided to wait until my twins were six to have them assessed, so that they could take the WISC, instead of the test for under six. Once they turned six, I submitted the request for assessment directly to the gifted coordinator, and then notified the teacher that I had done so. (She had told me that there was nothing that could be done to help until 2nd, when the official gifted program starts in our school, so she didn't take it very well when I went around her. We had been having issues, and hadn't made any progress dealing directly with her. I won't go into detail, but let's just say that we now have first-hand knowledge of how emotionally damaging it can be for a gifted child to be under-challenged and not have their needs met in school. It was an eye-opening experience.)

It took 3 1/2 months to get the testing, the report, and the GIEP, but it was in place at the very end of school so that it could be used in first grade. And as I noted, we had been experiencing issues with the teachers and I will say that once they saw the scores, their attitudes changed.

We are very lucky in that the gifted coordinator at our school is fabulous, and was very encouraging and helpful during the process, even though she knew I was having issues with one of the teachers. She works with the children's teachers now in first grade and works with the children directly each week. The official pullout program doesn't start until second, but because of their GIEPs my children's needs are being addressed now at least somewhat. It's not perfect, but it is much better than K. They are still not being taught more advanced math, but at least they are offered harder worksheets to do, which helps a little. The GIEP covers a lot more than math, though, and it is all of the other things in it that are making first grade go more smoothly than K.

After you read the state law and the Parent's Guide to Gifted Education in PA, maybe you could set up a meeting with the gifted coordinator and let her know (nicely) that although you value her opinion, you have done some research on your own and think it would be best for your son to be assessed. Then follow up with a request in writing.

Last edited by momoftwins; 10/11/13 06:31 AM.