Originally Posted by moomin
My wife, who was PG and reading at 12th grade level in K, was put ALONE and unsupervised in a storage room for two hours a day with a stack of grammar textbooks that the Kindergarten teacher had borrowed from the middle school.

So, yeah, that was a good plan.

I was one mile away in a different district in a public HG magnet classroom starting in K. One. Mile. Away.

I got sent to the library for about 6 hours each week from third through 9th grades-- you know, once I ran out of elementary (K-6) reading material. frown It was slightly better than the storage room option, I'll say that for it.

As I reported earlier in another thread-- this is now what passes for "empowering" children to own their own education. That is, since they've given up trying to actually fix this problem, apparently the solution is to call it desirable instead. WOW.

Doesn't your DD feel tremendous "ownership" after being ignored all year? I thought so.

{/sarcasm} sick

This would be "exhibit A" in Why My Daughter is not Taking Advanced Mathematics from her Cyberschool.

It's a point which I've sometimes struggled to adequately explain to others. I think that they may feel that I'm exaggerating or that it's not really THAT bad. Well, it is.exactly.that.bad.

I just don't think that not HAVING a teacher in any practical sense is any way to learn calculus. It was not much of any way to learn algebra II or geography, economics, or HTML, either.

At best, DD gets about 32-40 hours of instruction from a live teacher.... annually. In any subject. It certainly gets WORSE from there, however.

Sure. That oughta work. crazy

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.