Sigh...here we go again. My oldest ds, 10, has had a genuine dislike of school since 2nd grade but it's really ramped up this year. We are year round so are 3 weeks in. Behavior issues have basically been fixed over a few years (stupid stuff but visits to the principal), now it's back to lack of effort. He's not A DYS though scores on Explore in 4th met criteria in science and math and almost in reading, WISCIV is 135, WJ-III ach at 98th percentile for reading, 99th for math.

He is very competitive, sports oriented, very social but hates school..his words. I know he has issues each year acclimating to new teachers and, in general, it works itself out but he is never happy about what they do. Though I've considered homeschool, it really wouldn't suit him as he's so social and has many friends there.

He's getting in trouble for not working to potential, making silly mistakes and reading ahead in their novel rather than paying attention. I know all of this is typical gifted, but HELP! Teacher meeting last week to discuss, I suggested an effort contract which worked last year but haven't seen anything materialize yet. He is currently below grade level in reading b/c he's not putting onto paper what is in his brain, he hates writing, says it takes too long. There are no LDs, just seemingly laziness.

He is recognized as "very strong need" for gifted services, so he's pulled out twice a week each in math and LA. He does not enjoy the pullouts, more enrichment rather than different concepts..ie they have to draw a mailbox for AG math because it will make them "apply measurements".

Ideas for helping him in this environment? We've been warned basically that middle school class placement is mostly determined by his grades in the first two quarters. He's always tested well and gotten good grades before despite disliking it

One other thing, he and his younger brother are more like twins than 2yr apart sibs, they look a lot alike, have similar interests, both play competitive soccer (oldest is better at it) and my youngest is DYS and subject accelerated up a grade in math. Baby brother is very successful in school and likes it, not sure what role that may have in the equation.

I just feel so bad for him and frustrated about the situation, thanks for any suggestions/insights,

Shannon L.