Cdfox, glad my answer helped. When my sweetie was going through it, my heart was broken for her. Counseling helped but perspective did too, which came with maturity. Now we're working on her not "dumbing down" for everyone else, which is the next problem with these special kids!

Keep looking for the one friend that will connect with your EG/PG kid on his/her level, and in the meantime, make sure that he/she knows how awesome his/her brain is, how much you love it, the cool things it can think up, etc. We try to "reward" our daughter for having such an AWESOME brain by talking about others like her, Dr Seuss, for example, or other artists, scientists, etc. "Do you think Dr Seuss had a hard time finding someone who thought like he did" and the like, go a long way towards showing her she's not alone, and has a valuable gift. We've been reading biographies of people like Seuss and Disney to show her that they had some troubles too, but didn't let it stop them. "Do you think Walt Disney was a daydreamer at school?" etc. Hope it helps!!