My daughter (3 years 4 months old) was coming home from daycare and telling us that she was very unhappy, bored, had no friends, and didn't want to be with "babies" all day. She was having crying fits at drop-off, when previously she had been happy (she had been in this room for 1.5 years). She had been losing weight from not eating, having sleep disturbances, behavior explosions at home, and other signs of depression. The final straw was when one evening she was crying hard at home and said "I don't want to go there and be lonely all day". We pulled her out immediately, concluding that in her 18months-3 years room was just not suitable any more. She stayed at home for a few weeks while we worked out new arrangements, and now have her in a Montessori 3-6 room at a new school that is currently operating as a summer camp (lots of craft and outdoor activities and not a lot of Montessori "works", which should change when fall comes and school starts again. We both work and she needs to be someplace. She says that she is still lonely and has no one to play with.

Most of the older kids are boys (she says boys are "too rude") and the younger kids are girls. This makeup should also change and even out in the fall (when there will be 3 pre-primary rooms operating), but we are worried about what to do until then. The summer teachers seem (frankly) not too bright and when we talked to them they said she is "fine". We're obviously not sure how gifted she is, but I would estimate exceptionally but not profoundly. She is very sensitive and aware, and emotionally mature. She is starting to read. She loves maps; both drawing herself and reading from. She can tell time (not sure how that happened) and a couple of days ago when my husband said it was time for bed (bedtime is 9:30) she said "not yet daddy, we have 6 more minutes" - the digital clock in the room said 9:24.

Obviously being with average 2-year-olds was painful but we thought 3-6 ought to be much better. It seems clinical depression is a real concern here, and obviously want to avoid that. Any advice? In our area there is a child psychologist who specializes in gifted kids, has written some books, and been on national TV; but mostly talks about problems with underachievement on her website. Do you think taking her to see this woman could possibly help, by giving her some strategies on how to handle this? It seems like she has decent coping skills because the teachers at both places say she seems "fine", but she breaks down and it all comes out at home. Any advise anyone here has is greatly appreciated. Thank you.