Your daughter is not late learning to read. ....One thing that I try to remind myself is that my twins will not be ahead in learning everything, but probably will master the subject more quickly once they start learning.

One of my twins taught himself to read at age 3; but the other didn't learn to read until he was 5.5 yrs old. He is quite a perfectionist, and wouldn't let us teach him at all, but started "reading" the Bob books to himself around that age. He wanted to learn by himself, just as his brother did, LOL, and couldn't be told otherwise.

When he was learning to read, he would just push himself through sounding out the words, alone, after he went to bed. When K started, he could sound out simple words, but that was it. Our K program really focuses on teaching reading, and once he started school, his reading skills progressed extremely quickly.

He can now read better than he thinks he can, though, as he will only read lower level easy reader books unless he is extremely interested in the topic. He thinks Frog and Toad has "too many words" but is reading Star Wars level 4 readers which are much more difficult.

He has chosen quite an assortment of different leveled books to read this summer for his summer reading, which is fine with me. As the summer has gone on, he has started to read "harder" books. And his twin, who can read at least middle school level, also enjoys the picture books written for their age groups. One minute he will be reading Dr. Seuss, but his next choice might be a science encyclopedia written for eighth graders.

Try to find a book series which really interests her. It took us reading "Captain Underpants" to get my early reader interested in reading fiction books, which was important because that is what the schools use to test comprehension. My boys both love Dr. Seuss. His books are easy to read, but seem to be more "clever" than most of the easy readers.

Last edited by momoftwins; 07/12/13 06:43 AM.