I know you don't want to hear this but there could be a learning issue. If your gut tells you she should be doing better at reading, she probably should be.

I have twins. One read at age 3. The other, at 5, was still a long way off and he would tell me he worried that he would never learn to read. He also stopped wanting to try around that time because he was embarrassed. He was just as smart as his brother, so it didn't make sense.

I WISH I would have done something about it when he was 5, because he has dyslexia, and since he wasn't technically behind, I just let it go for 2 years. Plus, teachers told me not to worry about it. They were my first, so I took their advice, even though they were wrong. It would have saved 2 years of grief if he had been diagnosed, or if I had just started a reading program like Hooked on Phonics (which might have helped, but would have certainly shown me he had an issue.)

Once he was diagnosed, it took 2 years of intensive, expensive tutoring to bring him back up to where he should have been if he'd have started learning to read in K.

I would work with her this summer and if there's not progress, get her evaluated. The only reason I would suggested Hooked on Phonics is because it's a fun video aimed at young kids (I used it on my dd at age 3 to make sure she didn't have dyslexia and she was reading really well within a couple months.) By the time my son was diagnosed in 2nd grade, he thought it was too babyish (especially since his brother was such a great reader).

Last edited by syoblrig; 07/11/13 09:31 AM.