Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Not at all-- just that public naming/framing is probably inappropriate. For exactly the reasons that aquinas outlines in cases 1 and 2 particularly.

School policy (that my DD has to get special permission to circumvent)?

You cannot enroll in most AP courses without having first taken the regular or Honors version of that SAME course.

This is GT for high school kids around here. I think that we can all agree that for truly high IQ learners, that is mostly very inappropriate at meeting their needs for faster pacing and less repetition.

Why the need for PUBLIC acknowledgement of individual student's learning needs to begin with?? I'm seriously confused about what positive impact that could have.

There is no way that a kid could be sent straight to an AP-level class or skip one or more grades while also maintaining the illusion that s/he doesn't have a high IQ. Any form of acceleration is a public acknowledgment of high cognitive ability. Not acknowledging this fact is, IMO, more damaging to the child because it's a tacit instruction to hide what is in plain sight.

I am NOT saying that gifties should run around bragging about having an IQ 2 or more SDs above average.

What I'm saying is that one should not feel obliged to hide one's natural talents as though acknowledging something about themselves is bad or bragging. This practice is especially damaging when those talents are on display by virtue of acceleration.

There is a middle ground between hide and brag. It's a place where people learn genuine humility and where they and others can learn that gifties have strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else.

Last edited by Val; 06/23/13 08:40 PM.