Originally Posted by epoh
So... I can tell you the administration either already knows shes terrible, but hasn't been able to get rid of her, or they think she's fine and they are friends, in which case your complaining will do no good.

Or the teacher is just fine for most kids and is a poor fit for yours.

Originally Posted by Captain America
This is a parochial school. The "administration" really is a principal who handles both the HS and grade school. Her real interest is sports, and the place is essentially a Sports Academy.

It sounds like this is possibly the case. The principal's goals and priorities for this school don't align with yours, and the teacher is teaching to those that are behind, possibly consistent with the principal's goals for the school.

I've been told by our principal that I need to write a letter each year describing the type of teacher and classroom environment my kids need. A lot of "good teacher" "bad teacher" stuff comes from a quality of fit to the child. We've had good years (though not great) with teachers that other parents despise, and I'm still wondering how certain parents could think one teacher we had was anything but detrimental to all children in her class.

Some parents see a lack of communication as "no news as good news." I see DD's 5th grade teacher's constant email updates as encouraging helicopter parenting. A lot of how we see teachers is a matter of perspective.

Of course, there are amazing teachers that hit it right for all kids, and lousy ones that fail everyone, but I'm beginning to think they are more rare than internet chat groups would make out.

Last edited by geofizz; 05/20/13 11:48 AM.