Originally Posted by deacongirl
I don't know how they enforce it, it may be just strongly encouraged to talk/play something other than Disney princesses and Batman.

sigh... i want to go to there.

but back to the post... our (private) school has a uniform and on the first day of school, DD5 said the uniform made her feel like she was joining history (it is a VERY old school). as we walked up to the school on that first day, she said that she was planning to send her daughter there, too. at this point we had every hope this school would be right for her, and it was a really magical moment.

unfortunately, she has spent the entire year trying to blend in academically and socially. though she was incredibly successful at this, over time, she became withdrawn, angry and sad. of course, it's not the fault of the uniform, but i'd be willing to bet that for my (super sensitive) kid, the dress code has been a contributing factor. a uniform is, after all, by definition a visual cue to define, to integrate, and to belong.

all of which is fantastic when you're not struggling to feel those things naturally.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.