Hi all,
So need some perspective. DS 7 is in an accelerated gifted program - this works adequately - it moves fast enough, the day is interesting, mostly, and he enjoys going, for the most part. I would not say he learns anything new in the primary areas of reading and math although they are backfilling some areas, and going deep in others. He could do more, and does on his own, but its ok. In areas not his interest its great because they are doing things he has no innate interest but then is happy to learn.

So here is the problem - his focus area - science. If not for the fact that he writes like a 1st grader, he could easily be doing middle school science or more. First I spoke to the science teacher - she is sure she is doing enough for all the gifted kids. But I tried with her first, obviously she didn't get it. So went to principal - who totally got it - but was a bit troubled by the age thing - would not send him to upper grades for science. So met with principal and science teacher together and there were a few creative solutions, some good brainstorming - I was sort of satisfied. Thought everyone was on board. Then nothing! Science teacher does nothing for 5 months. Then finally the first opportunity for differentiation comes around.

DS was asked a question (which he answered correctly) was then sent home with instructions to do an experiment to test it. So we had fun, expanded it, tested multiple ways, wrote it up in his personal lab book, then did some research. It was a nice learning experience for DS. Then goes to school - reports findings - teacher has him present to class - THEN THEY DO THE EXACT SAME EXPERIMENT - and they did it for 3 more days.

So getting DS differentiation IN SCHOOL apparently means assigning the same assignment early so that DS now gets to do this same sad, simple little experiment for over a week!!! And all the differentiation and depth CAME FROM US AT HOME!

So what do I do? Go back to the principle? Let it go for this year but inquire for next? I was pleased initially with the talk of differentiation - but this is the worst outcome. Its made science more repetitive and given DS more homework. If I am doing science with him at home, this is not what we would have done!

Thoughts?

DeHe