Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by CCN
DS8 now emphatically states that "kids are smarter than adults!" He insists that he's smarter than his (non-gifted) Dad.

This makes me happy, actually, given the fact that ADHD is often accompanied by low self esteem. Not a problem with that kid smile

Believing in his own abilities is great, but not believing in his parents' abilities... not so much. An 8yo who is convinced his parents aren't very bright is likely to have anxiety issues if he thinks they're not capable of making good decisions that keep him safe and well cared for. He may perceive problems and be unable to be convinced when you tell him there's no reason to worry. So in your place, I wouldn't hold back from showing off a little.

"Parent" ...singular. He raves about how smart his mommy is wink

I agree with you in general, although the two anxiety counselors he's seen (in our search for the right diagnostic direction, prior to arriving at ADHD) both say they see no anxiety in him (as in, nothing clinical - most people have some anxiety at times).

(Btw, I do correct him - I remind him that adults have wisdom and fully developed brains)

I think what's happening is that he knows he's clever, and when when you combine that with hearing adults say things like "kids are like sponges!" ...he's led to the conclusion that kids' brains are more efficient.

Last edited by CCN; 04/30/13 12:30 PM.