Good luck, Pemberley! It's always great to figure out problems (or, alternately, rule out possible problems).

I'd recommend considering doing any actual therapy over the summer. Vision therapy is often daily and can be very tiring (even though it doesn't take long each day).

Also, I'd encourage parents to think of real appreciation for--and possibly incentives like an explicit reward system-- a kid doing vision therapy. Vision therapy can make one fatigued and/or nauseated, and it takes a few weeks to a few months to get the results. So it's a lot of unpleasant time before you get to notice that your work is actually accomplishing anything. I know some families have had battles and fights about doing the daily practice. Others drop it because it is such a pain to actually make it happen each day. If your child needs it, it is totally worth it, but just wanted to let anyone considering it know the process can be a bit of a pain. (But when your child reaps the results for years, it is totally worth it!)

Vision therapy is seen as "woo-woo" by some doctors. However, it definitely works for many. In addition, research supports it and it's becoming more mainstream. The Mayo Clinic has an entry on convergence insufficiency (one of the many vision issues a development optometrist looks for) at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/convergence-insufficiency/DS01146

Sorry to send this thread in such a vision-oriented direction. The OP was discussing a number of other issues as well.