Eastcoast, that's great news that you brought a spark of hope to your kiddo by sharing the acceleration plans. We found that in addition to providing some hope, our son learned that his parents would try their best to help his school situation. Even if things didn't work out, DS knows we are going to bat for him. (and we were always clear to tell him that we would try but didn't know what the school would agree to).

We went through a similar experience with math. Our DS had been given the 2nd grade curriculum in spring of kindy. He then skipped 1st grade and was given the exact same 2nd grade curriculum he had just finished. We asked for him to be given 2rd grade math, and we were told that they didn't have records that he had done all of it the previous year, and also he wasn't getting everything correct on pretests. (Note: if you can, get all acceleration decisions noted in writing, and a plan to continue the next year.) I looked at something he didn't get correct, and it was all because he didn't remember the terminology. I think it was "perimeter". I said that if it's a matter if reminding him versus teaching him a new concept, that was no reason to hold him back. If he gets a concept in 5 minutes, he shouldn't be punished by having to go through a whole unit. (The pullout teacher argue that if she told him what perimeter meant, that would be giving him the answer. Ugh.)

They also had scheduling difficulties with getting DS in 3rd grades math, and they said he couldn't keep up with the writing. Many meetings later, the school agreed to pretest, and if DS got 95%, he went to a pullout for new math.

Good luck with your advocacy!