So I sent an email to the principal, cc'ing the IEP team, asking for the results of the meeting with the Para who had said inappropriate things to my DS in attempt to discourage him from having her scribe for him. I also took the opportunity to memorialize our "cordial" discussion regarding DS's IEP scribing accommodations as well as to remind the IEP team that "DS's strength and endurance is not to be remediated during class time." "And that the scribing accommodations are necessary to minimize the impact of the disability of congenital hypotonia and joint hypermobility and to allow DS to access his education." The email referenced emails by teacher and statements made in the IEP meeting by both teacher and spec ed support teacher that indicate that the scribing accommodations have not being provided consistently since December (writings and statements that show they have been waiting for signs of fatigue before providing scribing etc.) and that that is a violation of the iep. I added "Therefore, if the scribing accommodations are not provided consistently and without retaliatory behavior and comments, we would have to exercise our procedural safeguards, unfortunately. We really and truly do not want that to happen."

The advocate person at PEN proofread it and it contained two full paragraphs of "thank yous" and statements of appreciation...

The principal emailed back saying let's all have another iep meeting again. I think one reason is that he doesn't want to put the results of or discuss meeting with the para in writing. I think it may be a good thing to meet again but honestly at the meetings I feel steam-rolled and I don't like them very much. I also am suspicious of the principal's statement that, "I think it would serve everyone better if we were to hold such discussions in an IEP meeting rather than through e-mail" I wonder if he is trying to avoid a paper trail.

So, I am thinking I will go to the meeting and try really hard not to get ruffled and not to get hurt/offended and just keep repeating "DS needs the accommodation to be provided consistently and without retaliatory behavior and comments in order to access his education" and that "DS's strength and endurance are not to be remediated during class time rather we do that at OT time and with neurologists." I am thinking maybe I had better record this meeting as well.

Thoughts? Feeling rather depressed about this... I really do not understand. The accommodation has been accepted and put iin the IEP - why are they still arguing with me about it?

Maybe I am being too negative ... maybe he is calling the meeting to have everyone say "the right things"... Is that a possibility?

Last edited by marytheres; 03/20/13 11:39 AM.