I've read the many discussions regarding 2E with ADD which answered some of my questions, however, I'm still at a loss for how to help my son. He is failing school and I don't know where to turn. Private schooling is too costly for our family.

He is in 7th grade. 143 Verbal WISC-IV. 243 on most recent state standarized tests for Reading. 99th percentile on Verbal Reasoning. Now here's the other side. He has ADD (without the HD component)and is in the 5th percentile for Processing Speed.

He can't show what he knows on worksheets and assignments fast enough for his teachers. He consistently earns Ds, a few Fs, and one C each semester. The C comes if he focuses an usually high amount of time on "one" class, he says. This works for any subject. I can tell by his scores in a given month which class he is "focusing to get the C on".

He can comprehend and excel in any given topic...meaning, he's knowledgable about so many things. His passion is in learning, simply learning anything. He just can't show it unless he "says" it. His processing speed doesn't keep his vocal abilities back. So dialogue is his love. He seeks out knowledge. For example, each month he asks me if the new National Geographic has arrived. He read Eragon and The Eldest in under a school week. He has so much potential but is really held back by his disability. He recently told me that he's going to be held back in Math next year and that means he won't be taking what he needs to get into the universities of his choice, because the math he will take each successive year until the 12th grade will be too remedial. He knows the math, but he fails the class. He gets discouraged.

His teachers, as a whole, think he's just lazy.

Those who tested him in the 2nd grade and in the 7th grade don't have experience in 2E. I wonder if perhaps his scores are as accurate as they could be. In any case, since he's not surviving public school I'm trying to find other options. Does anyone know how to educate a student with this unique mix? I'm hoping it's not as unique as I think and that someone in the on-line community could offer some advice.
By way of note, he's in the gifted program which is just another class 1/4 of the year which gives him more homework meant to "challenge" my son. And it's nonexistant from the 8th grade on in our district anyway. He's also in spec. ed. (you should have seen the looks on the faces of those in his IEP meeting when I advocated for BOTH!!! They really thought I was crazy!) In any case, the thing he has gained by being in special education is Empathy--not quite what I expected, but I can't complain. Those in Special Ed. now give him hugs when they see him in the halls.