A couple of weeks have gone by since my original posts and I have given it all more thought.

First, I think the concept of a 2e kid challenges a lot of what I thought coming into parenthood.

The idea that a kid can be smart, try hard and have supportive parents but still do poorly in school wasn't really on my radar until the last year or so. It is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Here is an example: spelling tests

When I was a kid if I had a spelling test my mom would have me practice at the table while she cooked dinner. She'd call out the word and I would write it down. We might do this twice. She would also make me a deal that if I got an A on the test, I could get milkshake after school.

With my son, he writes them on paper, with chalk on slate, on a whiteboard, with dough, in the sand, in the tub, on the computer, on the iPad, etc. He really does study for these little tests. If I make him the same deal with the milkshake, what do I do when he comes home and failed because cot was "kot", dot was "bot" and pot was "Pot"?
He certainly studied much harder than I ever did. Was he anxious or distracted? Did he try hard or did he decide he didn't want a milkshake? What if he is upset? What if he isn't?

I know I will feel better about all this once we have the Eides' assessment. Right now the dyslexia is just a good guess based on family history and the challenges we are seeing. Honestly at this point I would not be surprised if he had all four - dyscalculia, dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia.

We have conferences with the teachers coming up in a few weeks. I am curious what their take on all this will be.