I was out shopping for allergen and dust mite proof mattress and pillow covers and ended up getting one of the natural light lamps someone mentioned. While I was looking at them two random people walked by and highly recommended them so I figured why not.

A couple of good examples of what is going on:
He had some experiment going in the backyard involving food in Tupperware. He was trying to see what mold grew on what food or something like that. A raccoon ate his experiment and he became a sobbing mess. It took a lot of talking about scientists making unintentional discoveries (raccoons can open Tupperware and will eat moldy food) and redesigning his experiment for next time.

His teacher told him blood that had oxygen was red and blood that didn't have oxygen was blue and this is why veins look blue. Independent study revealed this is all false. Cue huge sobbing melt down about not being able to learn from a person who doesn't know things.

These things four months ago would have been a bit disappointing but now they are overwhelming. Plus his attitude towards school has gotten bad in the last month or so. He thinks it is boring. It isn't level of instruction. The math worksheets, spelling tests, etc. are all appropriately challenging, he just thinks math worksheets and spelling tests are boring.