Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
The answer to the question posed in the thread title is...

perhaps not. HG+ children are rare, statistically, and this means that unless you are fortunate enough to live in a densely populated area, your child is going to spend most of his/her childhood as something of a singularity.

I agree with Howler that it's unlikely you'll find "the right" school - not only are HG+ kids statistically rare, they are also quite often very unique so even if you had a "bunch" of HG+ kids together in a cluster, it would be tough to put together a school program that met the needs of each child. It's also important to remember that not all schools are "equal" or the same, even within the same school district. For example, in our school district the neighborhood elementary schools are widely varying in quality of education as well as strengths and weaknesses and occasionally special programs. Although it's not something that's advertised, you can apply for a neighborhood exemption to attend an out-of-neighborhood school *if* the attendance at the school you want to go to isn't at 100% for the grade your child is in. If your district has charter schools that's another potential that's worth checking into, as well as private schools. I wouldn't let worries about tuition scare myself out of private school until you've talked with the school about aid and scholarships.

So for us, we've found that what worked best was digging in and researching all the school options we could find, then picking the schools that seemed to fit best for our kids. It's not a "perfect" fit, but it's a better fit than if we'd just defaulted to our neighborhood school and not stayed actively involved in advocating during elementary school. We also informally after-school (following our kids' lead) as a way of keeping them engaged with their passions.

polarbear