Thank you very much qxp, Dottie, and Eleanor (in addition to the PP I thanked).
Eleanor-that makes a lot of sense and sounds somewhat familiar. DS8's school has differentiation but it's in large groups and not based upon GT-identification so he is in a class of 30 other kids, most of whom are not GT-identified. But that work is not acceleration as far as I can tell, it's just his teacher taking the time to expose them to some concepts from the next grade. As such this year in 3rd grade math, he has not been exposed to much beyond 4th grade. Now with language arts/reading, he is performing a couple of grades higher because he can do that on his own. This all relates back to my question on a different thread about whether I'd been underserving him all this time by not doing more with him. He attends a high performing school in an affluent area but, aside from a GATE magnet school in the district, the formal GATE program is nothing more than what I explained above.

qxp-that is fascinating. It would be hard to imagine what your DS will do after the vision therapy, etc. His performance is pretty high already! Good luck with the therapy.

Dottie-those numbers are so very helpful. Thank you! Given that you are a "veteran", your insight is so welcome.

That brings me to the question, if an 8 year old whose educational options at his current school are limited, scores in the HG range on the WISC-IV in a forest, does he make any sound? In other words, is his WISC score meaningless if he doesn't make DYS level scores on the WJIII Ach?

I think I may not be explaining it well.