It sort of depends on whether or not you anticipate pursuing an Ivy (or 'elite' college experience, at any rate).

There, class rank may eventually matter significantly. On the other hand, it's unlikely that not having weighted grades NOW is going to significantly impair his ability to take coursework which is weighted once he's in high school, yes? And maybe high school won't even look conventional at all at that point, if he's outstripped the offerings going through middle school.

My answer is "maybe." You know your family, you know your school system (will they weight college coursework taken in high school, for example?) and you know your CHILD.

For my daughter, this wouldn't have mattered much to her-- at least we would have said then that it didn't. I think. I was, however, very surprised when it mattered to her that she graduate numero uno in her class. I would not have predicted that.

While generally, it's good advice to take things one year at a time, and certainly there is no reason to fight this battle now... it's also true that it's best if you don't shoot yourselves in the foot later with decisions that you've made NOW.

Look carefully at high school offerings.
Talk to guidance counselor at high school and ask about what happens when your DS runs out of coursework there.
Get promises (ie-- to weight credits taken at a college) in writing.

This is going on a high school transcript, yes?

I'm actually irritated when we (as parents) aren't supposed to play both sides of the GT/acceleration card (that is, we have to CHOOSE whether we want our kids treated chronologically or cognitively and not bounce back and forth as it suits us) but then school administration sees fit to do it FOR us.

Sounds retaliatory to me to have your child taking a weighted class, but denying the ability to be treated like any of his other classmates.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.