http://www.uel.ac.uk/studentservices/supportingyou/staff/dyspraxia.htm

Working/Short Term Memory- the information processing stage where sounds or symbols are temporarily stored (short term) or manipulated (working) before being discarded or transferred into long-term memory. This will lead to problems remembering sequences of instructions, forgetfulness, slow retrieval of information, recalling what they have just been told, following group discussions, going off on a tangent, mental calculations, being organised, managing time and, multi-tasking.

I have always had problems with these things when I had anxiety or a migraine or both. I think my son, who was diagnosed with dyspraxia might be the same way. He was tested when he was getting a migraine and was tired from not having slept well the night before because of the anxiety.

But it looks to me like his working memory is much better than mine. He is able to solve math problems with multiple steps with very little writing because he uses mental math and combines steps and somehow gets the right answer while I have to write out every step to get the answer.

He always did very well on games that required good visual working memory at home on his computer yet several years ago the OT who tested him said he needed to work on his visual memory. She also noticed that he was showing signs of anxiety. I asked her why he could see a word once and remember the spelling if he had a problem with visual memory and she said it was a different part of the brain. He is learning Kanji without any problem. He can retrieve information quickly and he can multi-task. He is lightening fast with jokes and puns but he also notices visual puns that I would never notice. He not only makes jokes but acts out his improv scenarios with his ability to mimic sounds, accents, mannerisms, etc. It looks to me like improv would require a good working memory.

He has no problems with sequencing and he can remember last minute changes in musical theater dances and do the performance without a problem without having practiced the changes.

He can very quickly tell you where every key is on a qwerty keyboard but he says he doesn't see it in his head. He has to imagine touching the keys. He does it so fast you would think that he can see it in his head. He is learning the dvorak keyboard now and can type high frequency words faster than on qwerty.

I just don't know. None of this makes sense to me.