Originally Posted by Mom2KC
Wow, what an amazing amount of responses and suggestions!! Thank you all so much!! I have a lot of ideas now!

barbarajean: those poems are so funny!! K does have a couple shel silverstein books, her favorite is "Dont Bop the Glop" so those poems would be right up her alley.

If you love Prelutsky's poetry, check out John Grandits' two poetry anthologies:

"Technically, it's not my fault..." (about a gifted 8-10yo narrator's experiences)
and
"Blue Lipstick." (about an older sister)

The title poem in the first of these is like a perfect homage to being an HG+ kid; the poem is about the reason why dad's car has a concrete block sitting where the windshield used to be. laugh

It begins:

I know, I know. You're really mad. But I can explain. See, I was reading about Galileo, a guy who made all these great discoveries and did cool experiments. And the book said...

It goes on like that, with the type getting progressively smaller and smaller.

There are also poems devoted to imaging the school bus as a human-eating dinosaur that regurgitates its prey at school, one about multiple choice tests (in the context of being gifted), one about invasive species, etc.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/28/12 10:13 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.