Originally Posted by ultramarina
The nicest one we had which mde DS feel great, he was reading the most recent chapter book in a series on the train, can't remember which one but clearly meant for someone much older, and there were much older kids across the train nudging and taking to their mom till finally she leaned over and asked what the title was and if it was a new one because her kids didn't recognize it and they wanted to read it. It was very inclusive rather than always being different. DS really enjoyed that.

Yes, I love it when things like that happen. It makes me feel like people are seeing children for who they really are, regardless of age or what they are "supposed" to be like.

absolutely! and i have noticed that DS responds accordingly. You treat him like some weird zoological exhibit he shuts down. Show interest while being impressed or not quizzing him and he will respond. thats the best part of time with his older cousins or being in a gifted school - much less of the you are strange vibe. Although, he is still really different from his peers in his class - and they know it too - but they are less strange about it than some of the other parents who oddly want to tell him, so and so thinks you are the smartest in the class - and so what, why does a 6 year need to hear that from an adult, and why is that the conversation at home that they are having. it might be organic, wow, look at what DS said in class today, but on the other hand sounds like the parent is grilling the kid for rankings!

DeHe