Originally Posted by Austin
Dude has pretty much said it all. I am too busy to comment as I have to hire five more people this week for IT jobs.

I agree that the job market for the "T" in STEM is good, but that is distinct from the academic job market for PhDs in the natural sciences, as others have noted.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303360504577408431211035166.html
Revenge of the Nerds: Tech Firms Scour College Campuses for Talent
Wall Street Journal
May 31, 2012, 2:21 p.m. ET

The technology boom has created an acute shortage of engineers and software developers. The industry has responded by taking a page from the playbook of professional sports: identify up and comers early, then roll out the red carpet to lock them up.

With the social media frenzy in full swing, promising students are now wrestling with decisions about whether to stay in school or turn pro. Meanwhile, those who stay on campus are enjoying a bonanza of free food and other goodies as companies rush to win their hearts and minds.

Starting salaries at leading companies for average computer science grads from top schools range from $75,000 to $100,000, plus signing and relocation bonuses worth $5,000 to $15,000, according to venture capitalists and recruiters. New hires may also get small equity grants, with stars getting additional cash bonuses or larger grants worth as much as 1% of the company.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell