Your DS sounds wonderful! We have a DD recently 5 who sounds very similar. Although it can be embarrassing to have attention drawn to you and your child when out, I have really been working at enjoying them for who they are and not trying to make them blend in which ends up being awkward and unsuccessful anyway. This continues to be very hard.

DS5 and DD3 talk to most people we cross paths with. It can be a little uncomfortable. I used to be worried that they just talked to any strangers. My DH says it is good that they are so social and after watching them they are selective about who they talk to. They tend to pick adults that either have children and are child friendly or professionals who share some sort of area of interest. As I have tried to be more open to the strangers they start conversations with I have found that they generally pick safe and interesting people and purposely avoid others.

I would be concerned about focusing too much on humility at such a young age as schools tend to try and drill this into gifted kids, sending the message that a child is not special and everyone has gifts so your nothing special can come across wrong, especially if their needs are not being met at school.

Every parent thinks their child is special and they should. The world will bring him down to earth in time. Unconditional acceptance and positive opinion of him from his family can insulate kids from the realities and stresses of life later.

We want them to know they are capable and set their sights high. It can also address perfectionism as he gets into situations where he is not the smartest or is not the best at something but sees that mom and dads opinion of him remains unchanged and he can take risks academically with out changing or loosing that perceived smartness from others.

Biographies of smart famous people who have failed at something would be helpful for him to read and give you a good opportunity to talk about these things and how he views himself and others. Having a focus on personal effort and having an internal drive is a really good thing.

We have found that participating in sports or some sort of lesson where the child has to master a skill that can not be attained over night is really helpful. These kind of experiences are extra helpful if there are many different ages of kids involved.

There is no way he is not going to know that he is smart, and that's okay. There is no way other people are not going to notice that he is smart. If you can teach him empathy for others, by setting up situations where he can help or serve others, and he retains his curiosity about other people and continues trying to talk to everyone he will probably become a very well rounded, sensitive, insightful adult.

I hope to hear more about your wonderful DS. It is fun to read stories about the things they say and do. I wish we met more kids like this who lived closer. DS5 would love to find a friend closer to his age.