I agree with Ania about the AoPS course being for Mathy kids. I would choose a different course for my not-so-mathy DS. AoPS is fast pace. The Text and solutions set come together, and the solution set shows you how to solve.

My younger kids are doing ALEKS at school. They do not progress fast and find it a little frustrating that if they don't score perfectly, they're kicked back (DS9 can be careless, but he'll usually gets all but one or two correct--he claims 100% needed to complete pie. I prefer 85% or even 90%, because he's definitely mastered concepts). Even though they can access it at home and during the summer, they have never elected to do so (despite Mom's encouraging it).

There are a lot of Algebra curricula out there with enormous range of prices. EPGY and JHU CTY are pretty costly, depending on how fast you can complete it (kids who do it as afterschool will pay more than a homeschooler who has more time to devote to it as their sole math class). AoPS course is about 1/3 the price of those and includes the text/solutions (EPGY required separate text purchase). We had more computer problems with EPGY than with AoPS (essentially no problems). EPGY however would be easier to negotiate credit for since there are grades and quizzes, homework, exams, etc. AoPS seems better suited for supplementing (my opinion).

Does anyone have experience with APEX learning comprehensive courses (Algebra 1 or 2)?

Last edited by cym; 04/04/08 09:37 AM.