Originally Posted by Dbat
Thanks though for the reality check--it just seems weird to me for a kid to be given a consequence that is at odds with the psychologist's recommendation for regular classwork. And this teacher always says things in such a negative way that even though I try to be objective and of course respectful it is pretty challenging.

I think it's a consequence you wouldn't see happen for a dysgraphic kid if you have a teacher who understands the nature of dysgraphia and who is truly invested in helping your child. I would not be surprised in general that it happened for two possible reasons - I suspect the most likely (just based on our experiences) is that the teacher either isn't familiar with dysgraphia, doesn't understand or care to understand it, or is just simply too busy to keep up with each individual student's set of accommodations in every situation that comes up. The second reason could be that the teacher simply doesn't care. Hopefully that's not the case!

Soooo.... as I'm replying my answer keeps evolving - sorry about that! But - fwiw, if you are thinking of staying at this school, I think you do want to follow up in some way with some education for the staff re dysgraphia.

polarbear