Just so you don't feel alone -

My older son was screened in kindergarten, and after it, we were told he would need to be moved to a school with full-day gifted special ed - that he would never function well in a public school.

My special ed chair for my younger son just asked me again yesterday if we'd considered a magnet technology school (which a horrid record for academics) for my son since public school was so difficult for him.

If you decide to, you can make it work, but it will also be a sort-of fit, and you will spend a great deal of time solving problems you never knew existed, negotiating truces with teachers who assume things about your child that might be true for 98% of the kids but not for yours, and cajoling and bribing your kid to just play the game well enough to get through the day.

We decided to not homeschool, because I thought the kids needed the rest of what school offered, but it has not been easy for a single year since my oldest started. I am often envious of parents who just show up for parent conferences and leave it all to their kids. As parents of highly gifted kids with the strong personalities that often coexist with that high IQ, we never have that option. But we got in that line when we had kids, so ... smirk