Originally Posted by geofizz
I was in a similar situation in high school. I took my mom's and HS councilor's advice: I was already intending to go to a STEM school for college, so why not take things I wouldn't have time for then? I took psychology, art history, AP European history, and an extra writing course instead of AP physics and chemistry. I have a significantly better education as a result.
That's kind of where she is heading: take just the one college science class through concurrent enrollment and take APs in other areas plus electives that interest her. Honestly reading/writing are her strongest areas just not as much of a passion for her as is science. She got 27s on the English & Reading parts of the ACT just after her 12th bd. She should be taking some of these other courses in the AP track.

To change my direction, though, I know that a lot of people mention calculus as necessary and we are getting the feel from a lot of the universities that have gotten back to her that it would be desirable if not necessary. Her (and my) big fear here is that math is not her strength. Pre-skipping she was testing in the upper 90s on math achievement tests like MAPs & ITBS but not the 99th (which is where she was in all other subjects). Post skipping, she's always still been "advanced" on the CSAP math tests (NCLB test) and got a 19 on the ACT math again at 12. She isn't bad at math, per se, but she isn't knock you out stellar like she is in other subjects.

Her senior year is the year she'd be taking AP calc if she did. She is also taking AP literature of some sort that year and the college physics class (along with whatever else goes into that year to fill in the other periods). How hard is calculus for a kid who isn't mathy but is generally very bright?