Originally Posted by simplegifts
I don't have money or a job ... and I'm not emotionally healthy enough to go out and get one.

Originally Posted by simplegifts
Meanwhile, I myself (at the risk of sounding like a spoiled-brat trust-fund kid) haven't worked a day in my life. But retail and fast food are just one sticking point. I also tend to grow VERY apprehensive at the mere thought of wasting my talents in the doldrums of cubicle work or in dull, high-pressured, creativity-cannibalizing academic education.

If you are so anxious and emotionally fragile that you've honestly never been able to work a day in your life because the anxiety is intolerable, apply for SSI without delay.

I do find it hard to believe that you could pull off that kind of an academic performance but not be able to handle washing glassware in a lab somewhere, but you know your situation better than I do. If you really are emotionally crippled by your anxiety and depression, and you can't get help from VR, (It sounds like you had a terribly unprofessional VR counselor - I hope you complained to a supervisor!) then the SSI and its attendant Medicaid might help you through until appropriate counseling can help you get back on your feet.

It might be helpful to reframe how you are looking at entry-level work, though: instead of thinking of it as somehow beneath you, or as sucking away your creativity, you can look at it as being in service to your eventual goals, allowing you to gain experiences that will help you as a writer, or even just provide you with motivation to build a business or finish a book so you can get out of there. There's no honest work that is beneath anybody, no matter what their IQ, and work, even menial, routine work, if you think about it in the right way, can provide a sense of concrete accomplishment that can be really really helpful in dealing with depression and anxiety.