Dave,

One alternative that is not discussed much here is independent schools for the highly gifted. My dd7 is currently attending one and she is extremely happy. She is being challenged academically (advanced 2 years in math from 2nd to 4th and working on middle school level problem solving on the side with the help of a mentor in the school). The math team has achieved gold level nationally (only three schools in the country received this honor). The school has an excellent drama, music and art program.

I hate to admit it, but I don't consider myself to be the best educational option for my dd. I can and I am a facilitator in my daughter's education. I drive an hour to school each way because I feel this to be the best match for my dd at the present time. I provide my dd with all the books she needs/wants. I take her to the museum and encourage her when she wants to research a topic in more depth. When I see an area that I feel she needs to study more, I sign her up for additional lessons. I also provide a respite by being only mom and not her teacher as well (at least not full time). I would imagine it would be very difficult to separate the two (mother and teacher) if I were to HS.

My point with all this rambling is that there is no one option that works for every child. My daughter is thriving in her current placement, but there have been children before whose needs could not be met at this school.

HS may be great, but I don't feel it would be the best choice for us. Public school is working for some children, it didn't work for us. Private schools for the highly gifted are rare and expensive and not particularly available for all the children who need them.

One thing is clear. All the parents in this group care deeply for their children. That alone makes them very fortunate. Our approaches may differ, but our goals are the same. To get the best education for our children and help them soar.