Originally Posted by mom of 1
...the article says nothing about the quality of the education she received prior to enrollment in the suburban high school. A poor quality foundation in early math instruction is extremely difficult to overcome later.

Actually, it says that she's been attending the schools in Newton since second grade. smile ("Since second grade, she has [been riding a bus] to Newton, a well-to-do suburb with top-quality schools.")

Originally Posted by mom of 1
I know first hand the obstacles to success that must be overcome in this country if you are not born into privilege. While differences in ability and talent and intelligence clearly exist, there is also a significant opportunity gap in this country that holds back many highly intelligent and driven people, and advantages other people who are not as intelligent or driven.

I agree, and would add that these problems/obstacles affect a lot of intelligent people, including those who don't fit in well because of the way they think, women, atheists, and so on.

I want to re-emphasize that I have no idea about whether or not a 4-year BA degree is her best option. What bugged me about that story was the focus on elite colleges and that no one seemed to be talking about all the other options available to her. Maybe they are and this information didn't get into the article. But leaving it out just adds more fuel to the everyone-must-go-to-college! fire.

Most importantly, I believe that our society over-emphasizes getting a BA to the point where we're yoking people to six-figure student loans for educations that don't always help them develop their talents. Many of them will still be paying off those loans when their own kids are teenagers. This is just wrong. Telling people that there are other options, and that one of these options may be the best way to develop their talents is not only a good idea, it's also treating the student (and his particular talents) with respect.

The saddest thing about all of this is that many young college students are acting against their own best interests. Remember that more than HALF of students drop out of four year colleges, many with big loans waiting to be paid off. And these statistics don't count community college dropout levels (which seem to be higher).

Added: for some stories about student loans and the costs of education, read through the comments on this blog entry.

Last edited by Val; 11/23/11 03:09 PM. Reason: More detail added