Sorry LNE - I was agreeing with Val re her comment that there are problems with the idea that everyone should got to college, rather than responding to your comments. My apologies for the confusion.

I do think there is A LOT value in humanities (I think I have gone on at length about that elsewhere here so I won't bore people again!) It concerns me that there seems to be an idea that humanities disciplines are 'easy'. Take philosophy (somewhat self interested as this is my major). Edward Tenner mentions the following in an article in the Atlantic titled "Is Philosophy the Most Practical Major" : "Philosophy majors also score highest among disciplines in verbal reasoning and analytical writing on the GRE aptitude test." and "In one survey, working conditions for philosophers outranked some other prestigious fields like aerospace engineering and astronomy" (full story here http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/10/is-philosophy-the-most-practical-major/246763/)

While I have no doubt that there are many disciplines in the humanities where you can probably get by without being the smartest cookie in the jar, I would argue that most are really only fully understood by having a capacity for divergent thinking and, well, by being smart (and you're unlikely to be very successful in any of those fields career wise without those attributes).

Last edited by Giftodd; 11/23/11 01:01 AM.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke