I am far from an expert, so my response is based solely on my own experience with raising three gifted kids, one of which has dysgraphia.

As a parent of a gifted child, I think one of the biggest challenges is to not expect our children to be equally gifted in all areas. And I also think it's tougher on us to discern when our child has a learning disability because of the masking that can happen due to their higher IQ's and ability to adapt.

That being said, listen to your gut. My son was very advanced in many areas at a very young age, but there were warning signs early on as well. When he wrote on a page, he wrote as if he didn't even see the lines on the page. His writing drifted off the page so that by the bottom of the page, he could only get one or two words because of drifting so far right. He couldn't tie his shoes. Or ride a bike. Or zip zippers. But he could produce his own movies, compose his own music, and memorize entire audio books.

And because he wasn't two full years behind in school, he didn't qualify for testing.

But my gut said something was wrong, no matter what the school said standards of normal development were.

I took him to a private psychologist who diagnosed him with a severe dysgraphia. He's now 11, and the interventions we put in place when he was 6 have made all the difference in his level of successes with things that the experts weren't sure he'd ever master.

So my only real input is to say this: listen to your gut.