DeeDee offers very important advice about approaching the issue from a problem solving collaborative standpoint. Please take her advice - including documenting your written concern. It is worth waiting a day or two to calm down, consider possible solutions and come up with a persuasive and positive approach. Think Advocacy - not emotion. (I know this is hard - but it is essential!!)

Are you in MA? I ask, because you are right about using a calculator for state tests. That said, since the state tests are not high stakes until 10th grade, I would not push for him to get this accommodation for MCAS. If he continues to do poorly on the state tests, this is evidence that you can use for better instruction. As far as using calculators in class - almost all of my clients have this accommodation once they reach middle school. If he needs a calculator to access the curriculum it should be provided, just as Kurzweil is provided for students with learning disabilities - even though they can't use it for the reading portion of the state test.

Again, breathe. Try to find some allies. Position yourself as a problem solver. You can help shape a positive outcome.