Originally Posted by flower
There are a lot of programs in Seattle, but I have no idea how easy it is to get into those programs.
I did speak w/ someone in the Seattle public schools to ask about those programs b/c we have a younger dd as well. My youngest is 2e with 99.9th percentile GAI on the WISC and very erratic achievement. They have two programs: Spectrum, which takes kids who scores in the 87th percentile + on the CogAT and APP, which takes kids who score in the 98th & 99th percentile on the CogAT. The Spectrum program is "space available" and teaches one grade up in most subjects. If they don't have space at your school, you are not guaranteed a spot, though. The APP program teaches two grades up in most subjects and is a guaranteed placement.

They, however, could not guarantee my youngest a spot in APP b/c she isn't necessarily needing two grades up in most subjects and isn't being taught that way right now. She is doing one grade subject acceleration in math. Their suggestion was to try for the Spectrum program in a lower performing school where there was space in it b/c there weren't tons of kids in the program. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it doesn't sound like her IQ scores would guarantee her placement. They did say to send what we have if we get to the point of being sure we're coming and they can see what they'd likely do with her.