Bookratt,

I have heard back from my friend, her husband is part of the foreign service, and their children have attended US schools overseas, she says that as far as she knows the US gov't does not mandate anything to the schools. They help set them up to ensure that diplomatic corp's children have an opportunity to an education similar to what they could get at home, but they do not set the rules as to how or what services they need to provide.
The website that may give you more answers, or a place to contact for more information is: US dept for schools overseas

I hope this helps, sorry it is not the news you were hoping for though.

I taught overseas for 11 years, although not in American schools abroad, but I know that the services available for both ends of the spectrum varies widely from school to school, often times dependent on who the head of school is and the financial situation of the school, rather than whether or not there is a need for it. However, there was also usually a lot more flexibility from the teachers in terms of what they were willing to do to meet the needs of the students they had. I would suggest talking to the teachers involved and seeing how open they are to trying to meet your son's needs.