Sleep issues are the worst. I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. DD11 went through a phase at about age 5 where she had trouble falling asleep and often had night terrors. She would get up but not really be awake in the middle of the night and start sobbing. She would have no memory of it in the morning. Other times, she would wake up for at least an hour in the middle of the night. She never slept past 6 am and didn't nap so she started getting more and more behind in sleep.

I read a bunch of sleep books at the time. We developed a very consistent, calming bedtime routine including a ritual to get rid of the monsters. We adopted a no excuses policy about when we needed to be home to get her in bed (this often was unpopular with grandparents and other families whose kids did not have sleep issues). We also had to tell her that she couldn't come in our room until 6 in the morning because when we let her come in to "snuggle" it kept getting earlier and earlier. If she came in, I just sent her right back to her room. I know some people make think this is harsh but everyone was getting so far behind in sleep that none of us could function. Eventually, DD settled down, started sleeping more consistently and the night terrors went away.