Originally Posted by Grinity
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by Grinity
I don't encourage 'practicing' for any test used similarly to an IQ test,
Grinity

The SAT is useful even though there is much more preparation material available now than 40 years ago. Ideally other tests used for selection would be similarly robust.
I know we disagree on this but the SAT is currently an achievement test and has been for many years. The custom in the US is currently to study for the SAT and the publishers of the test are in the test prep business as well. When the publishers of CoGat publish test prep books and post them on their website Ill know that things have changed.

The founders of Google agree with me that the SAT is an intelligence test, according to a book review in today's WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304066504576351650017002270.html
How Google Got Going
by David A. Price

(review of the book
I'm Feeling Lucky
By Douglas Edwards
(Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 416 pages, $27))

'Also embedded in Google's mindset was a belief in hiring only the best engineers. Of course, every company claims to seek the strongest talent. What impressed Mr. Edwards were the extremes to which Google took this policy, particularly during a boom time when it seemed like companies were hiring any techie with a pulse. The first Google systems administrator Mr. Edwards encountered was a self-taught networking whiz with a Yale medical degree�a reflection of the weight that the Messrs. Brin and Page gave to elite academic credentials, even if not in computer science. Google demanded to see job candidates' high-school SAT scores, Mr. Edwards says, confident that the numbers revealed intelligence, not just "scholastic aptitude."'

Besides this anecdotal evidence, there is research by Detterman on the SAT and ACT and IQ.